I saw a documentary recently that I found to be very educational and inspirational. It is called Food Matters and it is presented by some of the world's leaders in nutrition and natural healing. The main message is this: YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT.
There are several important points in the film that made wonderful sense to me.
1. There is an epidemic of chronic malnutrition happening. Too much of the food that is readily available to us is aged, over-processed, chemically treated and over-cooked. In other words, depleted of precious nutrients. The very structures in our society make it easier for us to access food lacking in nutrition vital to our well being. It is so important to eat as much fresh food as possible and supplement if needed so our body has all the tools it needs to serve us.
2. Sickness is profitable. There is no money in health. Too many businesses thrive on an unhealthy population. In the film it says "1/4 of what you eat keeps you alive and 3/4 of what you eat keeps your doctor alive."
3. It is possible to reverse illness. It can be done and it has been done. There is scientific evidence for it!
4. Detoxification. Our bodies work hard to clear our system of the poisons that we ingest, but we need to do our part as well. One of the easiest ways to do this: drink lots of water! Everyone knows it and yet most people do not drink enough clean water. Challenge yourself to drink 1 litre of water first thing in the morning. This is one simple way to flush out those toxins that your liver has worked so hard to filter.
5. You cannot heal selectively. Our bodies have incredible healing powers. We can see this when we overcome infections or recover from cuts & bruises. But our bodies have capacities beyond that. Many pharmaceuticals claim to target and treat one thing at a time (ie. blood pressure medication, antidepressants, etc). As they say in Food Matters, there is a "pill for every ill." But imagine this - when your body starts to heal, it will heal all. You will reach a state of health that your body so craves. It is a matter of providing our bodies with the nutrition, hydration and TLC that it needs to operate optimally.
I encourage you to go to their website and view the trailer: